The original plan was to link the Mersey at Chester to the Severn at Shrewsbury. The original plan was not followed. and was never finished due to money problems caused by the war with Napoleon.
The canal ended at Grindley Brook wharf but still commercial even with railway competition until it was linked to the Trent and Mersey Canal in 1833
Steel pilings replaced original wood so the last group of Navvies was retired in the 1960’s
Moss drainage for peat cutting left the canal higher than land and the land is still sinking.
The decline of the canal was principally due to ex WW1 trucks helping to start the road transport industry as speed became more important.
The Prees Arm is now only open as far as the former puddling clay pit which is now Whixall Marina.
The remainder is now a linear nature reserve up to Waterloo Bridge.
What shall we call the Canal-
The Canal was originally the Whitchurch branch of Ellesmere canal
Then the Llangollen branch of Shropshire Union Canal
It’s now known as the Llangollen Canal and is the most popular stretch of canal in the UK
In Whixall we have both the Llangollen Canal Mainline and the Prees Arm.
The mainline enters Whixall Parish at Platt Lane Bridge (43) and exits on the Quob at the Welsh border on Whixall Moss.
The flow of water provides drinking water to Crewe and Nantwich from Horseshoe Falls to Hurleston Reservoir
The Prees Arm never reached Prees and ended at Quina Brook. It now ends at Whixall Marina